Savile Colliery

A Savile Park Headgear

AWinding Wheel Down

ABarber1

ABarber2

At last the men at this the pit can now work reassured that imminent danger has been averted.  Productivity is expected to increase, wages will double and beer prices in the Bay Horse will now be reduced. Well done Jack   1969

Connection to reunion photographs of 28th December 2012

BElectrification at Savile c1957 copy

AHarvest Savile001

A Conference

ASurface

ADerek and Gus005

A Conference3

AML Haulage

TWwmanriderhe two 14ft. diameter shafts were sunk in 1874 to the Haigh Moor seam, 143 yards deep.
The upcast shaft was deepened to the Beeston seam (known locally as the Savile Park seam) in 1909 to act as an upcast shaft for the neighbouring Silkstone and Beeston workings of Whitwood Colliery on  the Methley side.  After the closure of Whitwood the shaft was part filled to the Flockton horizon in 1970.
Between the years 1956 and 1958 major reconstruction included:-

  1  Deepening of the downcast shaft from Haigh Moor to Flockton horizon and the  construction of a new pit bottoWCoroEmptiesm at that level and a connection made to the upcast shaft.
  2  Development of the Flockton seam.
  3  Completion of surface plant electrification including the installation of two electric winding engines.
  4  Installation of turntable operated minecar circuit at the  downcast surface to two ton capacity minecars.

AML52's1

ACherry Tree1

ACanal Staithes

ADowty PS 53's

APowder Path

AJim Wassell c1975

ADowty PS1

AFire Trailer1

AStaithe

Asavile retreat heading

AAiredaleNo3

AHunslet 0-6-0 Saddle Tank 'Airedale' Savile Colliery

AOfficials

APay Window

Resident Connections

When you walked over the landsale weighbridge (for weighing empty and loaded coal delivery lorries) you would see the name ‘Denison’ cast in relief in the steel.  This was the same Denison family who resided in Methley and developed a nationwide business in heavy duty weighbridges.      - Denison Square, Denison Row

Clayton Goodall were the Leeds Engineering Company famous for the manufacture of plant of all descriptions.  The upcast headgear at Savile was made by this company.    The Clayton family resided in Clayton Villa, Station Road.   A marble headstone to the members of this family can be seen in the churchyard near to the east gate.              Clayton Close

August Holidays

Fire Fighting/First Aid Practice

Shaft Incident :1929

Stay Down Strike

Coal Mining Memorial

Savile Movie

Reunion 2012

BSavile visit to Huwoods

  • Savile Pit September 1927
  • Presentation – A pleasant time was spent on Tuesday evening at the Bay Horse Inn, when a presentation was made to Mr J D Barlinson, who after 22 years service at Savile Colliery as enginewright is retiring, and is going to live at Hornsea.   The chair was occupied by Mr J Simpkin, Colliery Manager, who was supported by Mr M Charlton of Whitwood and Mr J Crossland.
  • The Chairman congratulated Mr Barlinson on his long and faihful service, and then on behalf of the employees Mr Barlinson was presented with a wallet containing notes by Mr W Ward the oldest employee at Savile Pit where he has worked for 40 years.   The gift was suitably acknowledged.  During the evenng musical items were rendered by messrs Rigby, Wheeler and Backhouse Bros.